The Doctor’s Memorial is one of the first memorial of the fallen medical workers in the world.
The monument was built on the initiative of the public in Russia. It was erected by Russian funds in 1883/1884.
The project was led by the Russian architect of Czech origin, Antonii Tomishko. It is a truncated quadrangular pyramid on which a granite sarcophagus is placed. On the four sides of the sarcophagus are the most bloodthirsty battles in the Russian-Turkish War 1877/1878 described. The pyramid is made of protruding stone blocks. The names of 530 dead doctors and medical workers in the war were carved. Most of them have worked in the Red Cross mission.